DGHA 2018 National Conference
The 2018 Dog Guide Handlers Australia National conference was held on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th November 2018 at the Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach, Cnr. The Grand Parade & Princess Street, Brighton-le-Sands NSW.
The 2018 DGHA National Conference was a fantastic success! We had 44 attendees, 27 dog guides, and a puppy in training, enjoying the weekend.
At the saturday night dinner the Judith Killen Golden Harness Award was presented to Joyce Jones. Peter Greco interviewed Joyce on Vision Extra regarding receiving the award. If you would like to listen to the interview, please go to:
Conference Funding for Attendance
With kind sponsorship from Guide Dogs Australia and Seeing Eye Dogs, DGHA was able to assist a limited number of current Dog Guide Handlers on low incomes to cover conference registration and assistance towards cost of travel and accommodation.
This funding support has given Dog Guide Handlers who otherwise would not be able to attend the opportunity to participate in the conference.
Over the next few weeks we will be updating our 2018 Conference page with photos and audio captured at the conference, so pleas return regularly and visit our DGHA 2018 National Conference Page
If you would like information on previous DGHA conferences you could check out our Conferences Page
About Dog Guide Handlers Australia
Dog Guide Handlers Australia (DGHA) is an independent non profit association of dog guide handlers , and is not affiliated with any dog guide organisation.
DGHA strives to foster, represent, promote, enhance and protect the interests of Australians who are dog guide handlers.
DGHA draws on the experiences and varied knowledge of its members, to provide peer support, advocacy and information for dog guide handlers throughout Australia.
Dog Guide Handlers Australia was formed in August 2009 by four passionate people who were inspired by similar groups which exist in other countries.
DGHA was registered as an incorporated association in January 2011.
DGHA does not have a physical office, and we have no paid staff.
The DGHA Committee is a group of dedicated volunteers who meet regularly via teleconference.
Some of the issues we are advocating for include:
- DGHA hosts biennial national conferences around Australia, to enable people with disability to meet together for peer support, networking, sharing information and participating in various workshop sessions and discussion forums.
- DGHA HOSTS regular members teleconference meetings, with invited guest speakers, and focus topic discussions.
- Advocating for equal access to client services. This includes assistting dog guide organisations to establish client advisory committees, throughout Australia.
- Developing a national photo identity card.
- Establishing availability of toileting areas for dog guide and service/assistance dogs within Australian airports.
- Advocating for the establishment of national standards for assistance dog training, public access testing and accreditation.
- Representation on external consultations on issues that affect people with disability.