DGHA 2018 National Conference
The 2018 Dog Guide Handlers Australia National conference will be held on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th November 2018
We will be holding the 2018 conference at the Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach, Cnr. The Grand Parade & Princess Street, Brighton-le-Sands NSW.
Guest on Vision Extra (29 August 2018) was Nadia Mattiazzo, President of Dog Guide Handlers Australia, inviting all to come to the Bi-annual Conference being held in Sydney on the 10th and 11 of November
To listen to the interview go to:
Conference Funding for Attendance
With kind sponsorship from Guide Dogs Australia and Seeing Eye Dogs, DGHA has been able to assist a limited number of current Dog Guide Handlers on low incomes to cover conference registration and assistance towards cost of travel and accommodation.
This funding support has given Dog Guide Handlers who otherwise would not be able to attend the opportunity to participate in the conference.
To register to attend the conference pleas go to: DGHA 2018 National Conference Page
More information about the program will be made available as organisation of the conference progresses!
If you would like information on previous DGHA conferences you could check out our Conferences Page
About Dog Guide Handlers Australia
Dog Guide Handlers Australia (DGHA) is an independent non profit association of dog guide handlers , and is not affiliated with any dog guide organisation.
DGHA strives to foster, represent, promote, enhance and protect the interests of Australians who are dog guide handlers.
DGHA draws on the experiences and varied knowledge of its members, to provide peer support, advocacy and information for dog guide handlers throughout Australia.
Dog Guide Handlers Australia was formed in August 2009 by four passionate people who were inspired by similar groups which exist in other countries.
DGHA was registered as an incorporated association in January 2011.
DGHA does not have a physical office, and we have no paid staff.
The DGHA Committee is a group of dedicated volunteers who meet regularly via teleconference.
Some of the issues we are advocating for include:
- DGHA hosts biennial national conferences around Australia, to enable people with disability to meet together for peer support, networking, sharing information and participating in various workshop sessions and discussion forums.
- DGHA HOSTS regular members teleconference meetings, with invited guest speakers, and focus topic discussions.
- Advocating for equal access to client services. This includes assistting dog guide organisations to establish client advisory committees, throughout Australia.
- Developing a national photo identity card.
- Establishing availability of toileting areas for dog guide and service/assistance dogs within Australian airports.
- Advocating for the establishment of national standards for assistance dog training, public access testing and accreditation.
- Representation on external consultations on issues that affect people with disability.